1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1/4 lb.) butter or margarine, at room temperature
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 large egg
1 package (6 oz.) or 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
1. Mix flour, baking soda, and salt.
2. Beat butter, sugar, and vanilla with a mixer on medium speed until
well blended. Beat in egg, mixing well. Add flour mixture, and beat slowly to incorporate, then beat to blend well. Stir in
chocolate chips and nuts.
3. Drop batter in 2-tablespoon portions about 2 inches apart on baking
4. Bake in a 400° oven until edges of cookies are brown but an area
about 1 inch wide in the center is still pale, 6 to 7 minutes. If using 2 pans in 1 oven, switch positions at half-time.
5. Let cookies cool on pan about 5 minutes, then transfer to racks
with a spatula. Serve warm or cool. Store airtight up to 8 hours, or freeze for longer storage.
Submitted by Wilda W.